Just in the last few days, I have been blessed with the sale of 3 big things, enough to provide $ for our family to use for Christmas presents for my family of 4, as well as our parents, grandmas, sisters and brothers in law, and their kids-16 people total. Before this point, I was seriously contemplating how we were going to provide presents to all these people, and be able to have money for groceries and gas for our cars. I admit, I was thinking about the good old c.c., but I wasn't tempted enough to give in to that idea. First let me explain, that by me sharing this story, I'm not trying to brag about anything, just wanting to show that God can provide through the most amazing ways, and in his perfect timing.
Last Thursday 12/3, while at aapc, I had told them that I had a 4.5' pre-lit tree to donate to the op office. Little did I know that my hubby had promised the same tree to his parents for their office. So we had the same tree promised to 2 different people. Then we had gotten all the Christmas decorations down from the attic, and had been contemplating what to do about our tree. We really wanted to get a new CL one, but couldn't even afford that with Christmas coming up. So right after we put the kids to bed, I hopped online to CL, and under the free section was a 9' pre-lit christmas tree for FREE! We have 9' ceilings which made it even better, because our old tree was a very slim 7' tree. I found this posting just a few minutes after it had been posted, and immediately drove to pick it up. So we now have this tree that takes up a good chunk of our living room, but after finding it, were able to donate the sm.pre-lit tree to aapc, and then give our old tree to my in laws for their office. So 3 groups of people were blessed through one very generous family who gave away one tree!(see the pic at the top of the post)
This past friday, 12/4, I donated about 12 bags of stuff-clothes, toys, stuffed animals, random stuff around the house just taking up space. and dropped it off at my fav charity turnstyles. When I told people this, they asked me why I didn't just have a garage sale with it, which I could have. But my heart has been aching to donate to those in need, and at the time, not being financially able to give as much as I wish I could, those items I donated go on to be sold, and then 100% of those profits get to people in the community that are in need. There is just something about giving that is so freeing to your soul....in my eyes, the following is God's perfect timing of providing for my family,after I in turn had provided for other people (some of you may disagree, but at least in my life, God seems to work like this)
Sat. 12/5, A giant little tykes play cube about 5'x5'. we got this for free from a neighbor down the street who was just throwing it away, several years ago, before my daughter had a swingset. For the last 8 months, my s-in law was borrowing it for her little boys, until they got a swingset (and the swingset had been my sis's, and she gave it to my hubby's cousin, now they're moving, and so my s in law ends up with a free wooden swingset-so they were blessed as well) thus giving us back the play cube that they were borrowing. which in turn we were able to sell it on CL for X-mas money.
Sat.12/5, and Tues.12/7- Over the summer, early spring, our neighbors down the street were selling this beautiful antique bedroom set. It was a solid walnut double sleigh bed, and the matching vanity with tri-fold mirror. Although we really didn't need it at the time, I bought it as an investment(since I also love great bargains on antiques). We were planning on using the vanity, and then giving our daughter the bed, but it's just one more project, and so we decided to sell it. So I sold the bed alone for what I purchased the set for, making a nice profit on the sale! And the thing is that each piece could have sold for several hundred a piece, but I just wanted to get them out of our room.
So by getting a free item, that we used well for several years, and the other set, for a small purchase price, we made a nice little profit on 3 items. More than enough to buy Christmas presents for everyone, and have some extra $ to donate to charities.
(In Sept. we did a similar thing, selling 2 leather recliners that we had gotten for free, and the free leather couch my parents had given us. In selling all 3 things, we were able to purchase a practically brand new micro suede couch on CL)
Let me clarify that at the time we had the free items, we were in need of them, and it hasn't been until several years later until we sold them. So I'm not in favor of people getting free stuff online only to resell it, because there are people out there that couldn't afford to have that item otherwise. Also, we have been blessed with many free items-mainly childrens clothes and toys etc, even a computer, so in return we have given away the same exact things for free, to someone who needed them at the time-the old computer was donated. So I think there is an equal balance there of paying it forward to someone in need, as well as using some of those things, to help out financially in your budget. Trust me if you ever want to hear a crazy story of how long it took me to learn this lesson of letting go of items for free, you'll be in for a big suprise :)
This last week has been pretty crazy talking with my family about focusing on the real meaning of Christmas, and not on all the material possessions. Some of them were not very happy with me. And my lovely and sometimes sarcastic m in law, joked about it, although I'm sure there was a lot of truth to it. Apparently the issue of contentment didn't go over very well, when they didn't have the same change of heart that I have had. So now that I have the $ to use for Christmas, just trying to find the right thing for each person, and pray that they won't be critical about it. We'll see how that goes :)
Last Thursday 12/3, while at aapc, I had told them that I had a 4.5' pre-lit tree to donate to the op office. Little did I know that my hubby had promised the same tree to his parents for their office. So we had the same tree promised to 2 different people. Then we had gotten all the Christmas decorations down from the attic, and had been contemplating what to do about our tree. We really wanted to get a new CL one, but couldn't even afford that with Christmas coming up. So right after we put the kids to bed, I hopped online to CL, and under the free section was a 9' pre-lit christmas tree for FREE! We have 9' ceilings which made it even better, because our old tree was a very slim 7' tree. I found this posting just a few minutes after it had been posted, and immediately drove to pick it up. So we now have this tree that takes up a good chunk of our living room, but after finding it, were able to donate the sm.pre-lit tree to aapc, and then give our old tree to my in laws for their office. So 3 groups of people were blessed through one very generous family who gave away one tree!(see the pic at the top of the post)
This past friday, 12/4, I donated about 12 bags of stuff-clothes, toys, stuffed animals, random stuff around the house just taking up space. and dropped it off at my fav charity turnstyles. When I told people this, they asked me why I didn't just have a garage sale with it, which I could have. But my heart has been aching to donate to those in need, and at the time, not being financially able to give as much as I wish I could, those items I donated go on to be sold, and then 100% of those profits get to people in the community that are in need. There is just something about giving that is so freeing to your soul....in my eyes, the following is God's perfect timing of providing for my family,after I in turn had provided for other people (some of you may disagree, but at least in my life, God seems to work like this)
Sat. 12/5, A giant little tykes play cube about 5'x5'. we got this for free from a neighbor down the street who was just throwing it away, several years ago, before my daughter had a swingset. For the last 8 months, my s-in law was borrowing it for her little boys, until they got a swingset (and the swingset had been my sis's, and she gave it to my hubby's cousin, now they're moving, and so my s in law ends up with a free wooden swingset-so they were blessed as well) thus giving us back the play cube that they were borrowing. which in turn we were able to sell it on CL for X-mas money.
Sat.12/5, and Tues.12/7- Over the summer, early spring, our neighbors down the street were selling this beautiful antique bedroom set. It was a solid walnut double sleigh bed, and the matching vanity with tri-fold mirror. Although we really didn't need it at the time, I bought it as an investment(since I also love great bargains on antiques). We were planning on using the vanity, and then giving our daughter the bed, but it's just one more project, and so we decided to sell it. So I sold the bed alone for what I purchased the set for, making a nice profit on the sale! And the thing is that each piece could have sold for several hundred a piece, but I just wanted to get them out of our room.
So by getting a free item, that we used well for several years, and the other set, for a small purchase price, we made a nice little profit on 3 items. More than enough to buy Christmas presents for everyone, and have some extra $ to donate to charities.
(In Sept. we did a similar thing, selling 2 leather recliners that we had gotten for free, and the free leather couch my parents had given us. In selling all 3 things, we were able to purchase a practically brand new micro suede couch on CL)
Let me clarify that at the time we had the free items, we were in need of them, and it hasn't been until several years later until we sold them. So I'm not in favor of people getting free stuff online only to resell it, because there are people out there that couldn't afford to have that item otherwise. Also, we have been blessed with many free items-mainly childrens clothes and toys etc, even a computer, so in return we have given away the same exact things for free, to someone who needed them at the time-the old computer was donated. So I think there is an equal balance there of paying it forward to someone in need, as well as using some of those things, to help out financially in your budget. Trust me if you ever want to hear a crazy story of how long it took me to learn this lesson of letting go of items for free, you'll be in for a big suprise :)
This last week has been pretty crazy talking with my family about focusing on the real meaning of Christmas, and not on all the material possessions. Some of them were not very happy with me. And my lovely and sometimes sarcastic m in law, joked about it, although I'm sure there was a lot of truth to it. Apparently the issue of contentment didn't go over very well, when they didn't have the same change of heart that I have had. So now that I have the $ to use for Christmas, just trying to find the right thing for each person, and pray that they won't be critical about it. We'll see how that goes :)
2 comments:
Hey Megan~
You gave me your blog address a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to check it out and finally did tonight! Anyway, just wanted to tell you that we were able to afford Christmas last year by doing the exact same thing. I went through our basement and found things that we were no longer using and sold them on Craigs List. It's amazing how God provides, sometimes in the most creative of ways! Anyway, I'll enjoy reading about your life on here!
Emily
I think you and I think alot alike! Thank you for sharing your life for all of us to read!
Blessings
Rene'
Post a Comment