Sunday, January 31, 2010

Home Sweet Home

It was 3 years ago today, that we decided to step out in faith and leave the church home that I had grown up in since 3rd grade. It was a decision that had been 6 months in the making.

It was through a long series of events, that we felt it was time to make a move away from the place that we had so dearly loved.

I left behind 17 yrs of memories to make a fresh start and to go where God was calling us. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. To say goodbye to friends and the place you called home. To break away from my husbands family and finally be on our own.

It is the best thing that has happened to us in the almost 8 yrs we've been married. We met there in HS youth group and started dating when we were 16 going on 17, and 17 going on 18.

We came to the point in our adult life that we needed to be independent and on our own and have a fresh start to things. That's when we found CRCC :)


I'll never forget the first time I went up there during the week to find out more info about the church. I met Brian and Dave, but had absolutely no idea that they were pastor/ and music pastor. Just talking to them getting to know them, and then Brian says, "I'll see you next week at church." And I'm thinking that he's just someone who goes to church there. I was shocked

(in a good way) when I saw he was the pastor, and also glad I didn't say anything stupid a few days before. At first when they mentioned that church was in the gym, I was taken back by it. Thinking, well that's an interesting place for church-coming from just leaving a super traditional Evangelical Covenant church. Up to that point, I had never been to such an impactful worship service at a church- besides CHIC '97 and Christian Challenge in college. Music moves my soul in ways that nothing else can, and to me that was a huge thing. I loved that everyone was so friendly- (people at our old church were starting to be a little snotty). I love that the word of God is preached with such a passion. Most of all I love the church's vision for Missions. I've always loved doing Missions work, and it was very important to go to a church that was rooted in Missions and especially community outreach. I loved the small church feel, coming from a church that had 1200 people or so. Most of all I loved that God was calling us here and made us feel at home here.


God has been working on my heart in so many ways during the last 3 years. The biggest one, was being re-baptised. I was baptised by sprinkling at 9 yrs old, and had accepted Jesus into my heart when I was 3 yrs old. That was one of the things I fought against the most, was the thought of being baptised again. I had never felt the inclination to do that at my old church in the slightest bit. I even talked to Brian about it, but just kept fighting it. Finally I felt the Holy Spirit convicting me that it was something that I needed to do. My life went through some crazy times from the time I was 9-25. I had struggled with drinking heavily in college, and going a bit wild, and then with my suprise "grace" . Alot had happened since I first accepted Christ. I was baptised on Dec.23,2007, and I have never felt such overwhelming peace as I have that day. I remember coming home and laying down and it felt like I was physically surrounded in peace and contentment and just crying because this must be what it will be like in heaven some day. Peace and no sorrows.



The Holy Spirit was at work on my heart, and for the first year or so that we went there, it seemed like I would cry or be touched by how moving the service was. My heart ached for God.

It was also the first time I truly saw my husband really happy to go to church. His personality fits so well with that of our leadership team, and even hearing him sing, was music to my ears!

God has blessed me with some amazing friends, and I am so very glad that I know them, that my life wouldn't be complete without them :) God has even opened my eyes up to what life is like with bigger families-our old church had maybe 2 kids each, where here is 3-5, and to more people who homeschool. My perspectives have been changed for the better. Part of me wishes we hadn't made the choice to not have any more kids right after Braden was born, and before we could see how awesome big families are, and the fun dynamics between siblings. I am thankful for all of our friends we've met through our 2 different small groups-sharing in joys and struggles together. Before we came to crcc, we had honestly never met so many people that we could relate to at church. Everyone was so down to earth, and real. It was extremely hard for us to relate to most people our age at our old church, they had different outlooks on life (and there was a big problem with them being too clicquey(sp?). I was glad to see that people at our church leadership lived modestly just like everyone else.


God has worked on my heart the last 3 years, moving me to be more outgoing and to speak up for those things that I feel passionate about. I was thrilled that our church supported the Walk for Life the last 2 yrs, because my old church didn't and that really hurt! My passion is for helping young women who are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. I am so glad that I have so many friends at church who are supportive of this as well :)


I am so thankful for my friends from crcc that I've had the opportunity to share my life with. Thank you for being real, and honest and steadfast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart Megan. I'm so glad you feel the Holy Spirit working in your lives! It's also important that you have connected with so many families at crcc. That's truly important that as a family of God's children, that we all lift one another up and encourage eachother towards a likeness in Christ.
As imperfect as we will always be in comparison to our Savior...it's always so much easier to press on when we have friends to hold our hand and help us during the tough stuff.
May the Lord continue to bless you and keep you!
Rene'

Katy said...

Wow Megan, Thanks for sharing that all. I'm thankful that you are my friend and its so great you connect with so many from church. I believe it is a slow process, or at least it has been for me.

Also, I love your new bathroom. Its awesome. I remember the other,a little. with much love, Katy K