Monday, January 16, 2012

New years thoughts

So a lot has been going on in my life the last month or so. I've been working at the hospital almost the last month and a half now. So I've pretty much been absolutely exhausted from working 37 hours a week... I honestly don't know how working moms do it. My house has been not the cleanest, and at moments looked like a disaster zone. Take the week or two before Christmas, I was so tired, that I was behind a week, in making 12 of my neighbors some banana bread; and didn't get gifts for the kids teachers. They just got cards. I felt awful. But it all worked out okay.

I've found myself actually missing my family. Something new, because from past jobs, it was a tremendous relief to have a break from the kiddos. I find myself seeing the joy in the eyes of my friends who are stay at home mom's with their little babies/toddlers... and missing that sweet baby stage, and just wanting to snuggle with them. Also, something new for me. Before it was all about "escaping." Now it's about working to pay off debt and save money, and it's hard work.

Just in the last week or two, I've gotten more into the routine, and things at work go easier, just a change of mindset. Things that I love about work: a very nice boss, close parking at night, yummy hospital food with a 30% discount(you heard me right- I love it), how the bathroom smells like apples, and pretty much working by myself. It's so nice to work in an environment, totally independent, and not have to worry about daily stresses from lots of people rushing around. The only thing I don't like is wearing black pants. I'm so spoiled, since I get to wear jeans to aapc.

Things at aapc are going really well. I have 3 options clients right now, and they're all amazing to work with. I love working for a non-profit, and that what I do has an eternal impact, and it makes it that much more rewarding. There are very few jobs in life that you could say that about. I love my co-workers, and the schedule. If the opportunity every arises someday to work there FT, I would do it in a heartbeat.

So I've been working 12 hrs a week at aapc, and 25 hrs a week at the hospital. My hours with the hospital will be staying that way at least through February, maybe March. Right now I've been working M-F 6:30-11:30pm. Starting next week, I'll be doing T/Th 6:30-11:30pm, and then Sat/Sun evenings. Which will be great, because it will still be the same hours, but I'll have more time in the weekday with the family, and pretty much have the whole weekend together until 7:30pm when I go in to work. Also, I won't have to work a total of 13 hrs on Fridays, which was brutal last week. I could hardly stay awake. I'm sure some of you are thinking that I'm crazy, but we're super intense on getting this debt paid off, and looking forward to living debt free within the next 2 years or less. Sacrifice hurts.

on a non-related, random tangent...

My new years resolutions of sorts-1. Getting a lot of debt paid off. Once it's all done, it would free up a lot of monthly resources that could be saved, and put toward paying off our house. 2. continue towards my goal of losing more weight. not to be confused with being obsessed with it, or dieting or anything, but enjoying life and eating better. from my goal from last year, i've lost almost 20 lbs. since this time last year. still have another 20-25 to go. 3. starting over with a new bible study. i've been doing cbs for the last 7 years, and have pretty much always enjoyed it. this year, i'm not feeling it though, and feel more obligation than anything. so i'm switching and doing a bible study at my church instead. 4. continuing to be more bold in my daily life 5. spending more time with friends who care about me

that about sums up my life this last month or so. i totally missed out on the Christmas post this year. it was a good, simple Christmas, keeping Christ as the center. our family, as well as our parents kept it all low key. which i just loved. also kept the budget about the same as the last 3 years for 16 people, under $200 total. even though we have more $ now, i still am commited to doing heartfelt, low cost gifts, and being able to give more to others in need.

i miss my grandma billie deeply, and it has been really hard. our next door neighbor passed away a week after she did. then just 2 weeks ago, one of my friends from cbs passed away. she was only 54, and had melanoma skin cancer. all 3 of them are with Jesus now, and that makes me happy. it has been a lot of grief within a one month time. i feel closer to God during this time, not angry or anything. but still a little sad.

1 comment:

Katy said...

You are amazing Megan. I am so glad you are in my life. I wish we could spend more time together. And as it looks right now, I will probably still be a working mom in August. I almost want to cry right now just typing it. Talk to you about that in an email. Love you and you are so blessed. I can't wait to hear about your 10th Anniversay adventure. We celebrate our 18th in exactly one month.