Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The New Year Brings... New Beginnings

So I've been more than a little out of touch with keeping up with my blog, which I had just 9 posts last year- yikes!, when I had more than enough things to write about. A lot has happened since I last wrote in August about my kids going back to school. Mr.B turned 6 in September, and Miss G turned 10 in October. Hard to believe my kids are growing up so fast. It only really took me about 3 months to adjust to the reality of my new normal every day. The end of November marked the one year anniversary of when my Grandma Billie had passed away... still miss her everyday. My sister had her first baby right before Christmas, and so there is a new baby to love in the family. In regards to the car accident of Sept.2011, one passenger has settled, but the driver and other passenger are still not resolved, but they are in negotiations. Stay tuned to the details after it's all said and done. Trust me- it's been a beyond crazy story. I'm now working 18 hrs a week at aapc, and 12 at the hospital for a total of 30 hours a week, and being a stay at home mom all in one. 

The biggest change for 2013 will completely rock our world in more ways than one... we're in the process of becoming Foster Parents. Tonight is our 8th out of 10 classes of the 30 hour required state training. Then we'll have a home study done by this spring and receive our license. Lots and lots of paperwork that is for sure.

I just finished reading an amazing book, which I highly recommend called, "The Foster Parenting Toolbox," by Kim Phagan- Hansel. It is mainly all first hand accounts of stories from foster parents, former and current foster youth. I have another one called, "They're all my Children: Foster Mothering in America," by Danielle Wozniak, which I just finished up reading as well. It's more from an Anthropology/Sociology point of view. A little outdated from mid-late 90's, but very relevant information still. I've also read, "A Guidebook for raising Foster Children," by Susan McNair Blatt, which has good basic info. They're all things I've found from our local library. God has put this call on my heart to Foster over the last 2-3 years, and on Seavie's heart just since last fall. We've seen so many hurting children in our surrounding community, that it's just not possible for us to turn away to God's calling on our lives. I know I'm eating my words of sorts, because I can remember writing a post several years ago, getting irritated by some things I'd seen in our neighborhood, and then upset with a friend at church for saying maybe that's where our mission field was, and I completely shut that out. How God works in my heart makes me laugh sometimes- especially when things like this come full circle. A few years ago, I wanted to help, but I kept coming up with excuses- we don't have enough money, or a big enough house (1300 sq.ft), or a big enough car. I wanted this new found freedom from having my kids in school all day. I wanted to do things for me (basically I was being selfish), and now that I've had all that the last 7 months of freedom of sorts, I really miss my kids and the day to day with when they were little. God has put a calling on my heart of Motherhood that is stronger than any other call that is in my life right now (being a working mom). There are so many things that are more important than the trivial things that we as a society love and obsess with in life- facebook, meaningless blog posts with current trends, foods, politics etc., cliques. None of that matters when there are real issues in this world that need addressing. I am willing to sacrifice all those comforts of my ideal world if it means helping out kids less fortunate. My kids will learn to share their room with another child, we'll get used to sharing only 1.5 bathrooms for potentially a 6 person household. We will continue to live simply and love fully. 

Yes, there may be days where I yearn for more space (like a few weeks ago when I found out the old house down our street would be coming up for sale soon- 4 bedroom, 2 bath, fireplace, potentially hardwoods, 2 car garage, 1 acre yard, 2000 sq feet, plus a huge basement with 9' ceilings, and solid stone foundation that is 1200 sq ft by itself- all for around $140K. I will admit that made it SO hard. One because I'm completely obsessed with old houses, and two because I need to be content with what God has given us). We will work with what he's given us- our attic space, and basement spaces will be finished sooner than later, and that will add more usable square footage, making our house closer to 1664 sq.ft. Not that any of that matters, and it's not a comparison. We're going on 10 years in our house, and it works for us. We only keep what we need, and donate/sell the rest so we don't have to store it. Less clutter=happier me, and less to store and put away. Sorry for my random segment there...


Right now I'm just looking forward to what the next few months bring, our first placement(s), possibly job adjustments. Trusting that God has just the right kids for our home when they are in need of care. We have 6 chairs again at our kitchen table, and it just feels right. Not so empty. Spring break week will be filled with cleaning at my house. Getting furniture in the kids rooms moved around, and cleaning out and clearing out space for the new potential foster child(ren). Our ages are under 10 for a girl, and under 6 for a boy. Preferably a sibling pair- so they have each other, and our own kids.The kids are getting excited- Miss G wants little kids, and Mr.B wants kids his own age, so we shall see. Thanks for following along on our family's journey. It's been a long time coming. 

1 comment:

Katy said...

Miss you Megan. Great Blog!!
So glad you are following your heart with being foster parents.