Sunday, June 14, 2009

Becoming Humble.....

I spent most of my formative years growing up in South Overland Park, from the time I was in 2nd grade-college. I was never in want for anything. I grew up in the Blue Valley schools, where there was a great lack of diversity both racially and socio-economically. There was no such thing as low-income areas in Blue Valley then. My sister, who is 3 yrs younger than me, and her friends thought that $250K+ homes were starter homes(granted they might be for those fortunate enough to have incomes to support them). They also thought that anything north of 95th St. was "the ghetto." Talk about a warped sense of reality!

My now husband, then boyfriend lived in North Overland Park, in a modest split level house. I'll never forget when I walked into his Shawnee Mission HS one day to visit, and was shocked to find a completley different world. There were no cliquey Abercrombie kids or bleach blonde cheerleaders, but truly normal people in every sense of the word.

I had never even touched generic food until we started dating, because that's what food he had in their house. I admit it did take me a long time to get over the fact that it wasn't that certain brand name I was used to. I didn't know it really even existed.

I had never been garage saleing before, and thought it was a crazy idea. Why on earth would I want to look through stuff people were getting rid of? I think I was even embarrased at the idea of going to garage sales! I have to admit that I was a bit materialistic, and that it took me into our early years of marriage to get over wanting to have all things new. I eventually got more into garage saleing when we first got married, but it took me a few years after that to even think of shopping at consignment stores, or thrift stores.

So life the last 7 years that we've been married has been completely different. We moved to Lenexa. Our neighbors are all wonderful people who share in the daily struggles of life, and what like if like for the average person. Everyone has older houses, our neighbor behind us has lived in her little bungalow for 60+ yrs, and has raised her 5 children there. Our 2 elderly neighbors have both been in their homes for 40+ yrs and raised their families. There is such a strong sense of community! So different from the suburbia that I grew up in.

It was an initial adjustment for me having Grace in the SM schools. I had no clue what school was like with low-income kids, or different racial backgrounds. I have to admit that it did take me a few years to get over the idea, but was fine with it once she was in school. I have really suprised myself this last year how much I like her being there, and making new friends. It has really changed my perspective about the people that I call my friends, and the people that live in our neighborhood- for the better. Several of her friends moms, are my friends, and we share the common struggles, and life in general. There is no fake sense of reality, life is what it is.

I told my husband, "You can take a girl out of Blue Valley, but you can't take the Blue Valley out of the girl."This is especially true when it relates to my love of shopping-well really bargain shopping. As I said earlier I had never once entered a thrift store, and didn't know too much about them. Over the last few years, I have found a new love of shopping at my 2 favorites in town. Yes, it takes A LOT of work to sort through all the clothes, but the end result is brand name clothes that are practically new, for less than $2 to cents a piece, compared to $100's of dollars on new wardrobes for kids. My kids outgrow their clothes so fast, and run around and play, and get stuff dirty. It has made it so much easier for me to not grow attached to material possessions, when I'm not spending a fortune on them. Plus, all the money from your purchases goes to Charity which helps people in true need. I would much rather give to people in need, than to corporate chains that the same is definitely not true. Now that's not to say that I don't love shopping in normal stores like Target, because I do. I love their sales :) I have just made the progression (for kids clothes) over the last few years from shopping regular store sales-to consignment stores, or kids sales-to garage sales-to thrift stores. It has been a very humbling experience as well, especially since I would have never been caught dead shopping there, since it was in my mind only for poor homeless people. I'm not poor by any means, but not rich either. Just trying to get the most out of each $, and help provide for my family in a way that is fun for me, and puts me in the giving spirit.

We used to do garage sales, and we'll probably still do them in the future. They started out of necessity because we needed to sell things to make extra money. The last year or so, we have been donating, and giving things away instead. It has been completley freeing to my spirit to not be so materialistic, but to be humbled, and to know that others are in need and that we might be able to do something to help others. It took me a long time to get to that point where I could just willingly give something away, but looking back over the years, God has blessed us so richly from others kindness of things, that I want to now return the favor, and pay it forward to someone else in need.

I have also gotten over my dislike of generic foods, I got over that several years ago. I didn't even know what ALDI's was, until just a year ago or less. Growing up my mom went to Sam's Club a lot, and to regular stores, and our pantries were over stocked. Now is not so much the case, but I strive to get there some day when I'm working FT. I have now discovered that I like a lot of generic foods more than regular name brands. And it all comes down to saving money too.

By all these new revelations I've made as an adult, has made me appreciate how much my parents provided for my sister and I when we were growing up. They have helped shape me to who I am today. I have to thank my husband as well for introducing me to the real world. But most of all I thank God for giving me this humble spirit that he has blessed me with, and for taking away my prideful, materialistic, selfish spirit that I once had. I may still struggle occasionally, but I have learned to be content and know that everything in life happens for a reason. I am so glad that I have reached this point in my life, and couldn't be happier :)

No comments: