I just found out Monday night, that Grace's school that she's been at the last 3 years, will be closing next school year.
*Due to privacy reasons, I'm not mentioning the name(s), so if you could do me a favor to not post that as well, I'd appreciate it* It had been something we knew might be happening over the last few months, but were just praying that it wouldn't happen. Initially, it was going to be that all the kids would transfer to the same school. Now it has been decided that the kids will be split between 2 different schools. Good news for us, the one she'll go to is a lot closer. The bad news is that she will lose most of her best friends to the other school, since they live on the other side of the main street we live off of. She will still have about 6 friends that are girls that will be going to the same school, but her 4 closest friends will be at the other school. So they will be apart for the next 4 yrs, and then together again in middle school. Hard to believe that's only 5 years away! Yikes... On the plus side, she does have an old best friend who she went to pre-school with for 2 years, that goes to her new school. So she'll have at least one good friend from her new school. She's handling it pretty well so far, even though she's really disappointed, since she loves her school.
I shared with her that I moved schools half way through 2nd grade when my parents moved to OP from MO. And Seavie shared with her that he moved schools when he was in 3rd grade, after they moved back from TX. Grace at least has the advantage of having friends transfer with her, as opposed to losing them all together. It was just one of those things as a parent, that you wish you could not have your child experience if they didn't have to. She's already lost 3 good friends that have moved away. In the area where we live I know it's not going to be avoidable.
So in the meantime, we're staying involved with the current school as much as possible. With family nights and book fairs etc. To have lots of good memories. It will also be the last year for her to have her G.G. pick her up from school once a week, since the new school will be .3 miles farther away, it will be too much of a walk for them. So that tradition will end 1 yr earlier than it would have. So she's kind of sad about that.
2 comments:
I am sorry for Gracie losing her friends. I moved like four times in my lifetime and I lost all my friends too. We moved once 4 hours away from grandma, second time we moved 10 hours away from grandma, third time we were in Indiana but only 30 min away from grandma and then we moved 5 min from grandma. Tell Gracie I will pray for her.
Katy
Post a Comment