Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Brass Chandelier re-do

I have been completely obsessed with finding a crystal chandelier for our master bedroom remodel, but not loving the crazy expensive prices of them. Seavie absolutely hates crystal chandeliers, he told me it reminds him of his grandmother's houses. And I keep telling him they're totally in style now, and nothing at all compared to the stuffy light fixtures of past eras. So I was on craigslist a few weeks ago, and found this brass beauty for $10!

For those of you who know me, I despise brass light fixtures (Mainly from growing up in a new house in the 80's that was filled with builder grade shiny brass). So I'm being sarcastic when I call it a beauty. It does have good lines, and a lot of potential. And it has brand new linen colored mini shades, which alone are $5 brand new, so it has $40 in mini shades. The best thing is that it's a Schonbek chandelier, which is the manufacturer of some of the most expensive crystal chandeliers you've ever seen...So it was a steal at $10 !

I have been searching the web for inspiration, and found 2 blogs that gave me the most inspiration. Centsational girl, and style for style blog. Both of which turned brass chandeliers into beautiful, shabby chic chandeliers. To get to the end result will result in painting with bonding primer, then painting it in Heirloom White spray paint, then antiquing the little detail pieces (which are kind of hidden in this pic) with a touch of bronze. And after it's all dry and pretty, adding 8 crystal strands- one off of each arm to attach to the ring at the bottom of the light, and ta da- a beautiful crystal chandelier for under $ 30 (hopefully)! Pics to come of the re-do in the near future.

No comments: