Monday, October 24, 2011

Creative re-use of a vintage stereo cabinet



Got this off of craigslist for $10. I know I'm a big spender. It's a vintage Magnavox Stereo Cabinet with the record player and stereo still intact, with speakers on the ends.But we're going to take that all out, and turn it into our new entertainment center. It's going to be amazing painted antique white, with a distressed weathered look on the detailing. New hardware as well. Hubs is going to re-design the inside so it can fit our speakers and stereo equipment, and make the doors functional. Right now they don't open. So eventually, and probably not until next spring, we can put our yet to be purchased flat screen tv above this on the wall, so it won't take up as much space.

It's the perfect size- 30" tall, 19" deep, and 60" long. Same size as modern entertainment centers for flat screens, but very a very small fraction of the cost. There is no way that I'd buy the same thing for several hundred dollars, when I could get the same effect from this vintage piece for only $10.

This old stereo cabinet was from 1965. It has hints of Neo-Classical detailing as seen by the fluted ends and legs. Which is funny because our piano which is from 1977, is more French style with cabriole legs. And if I get the coffee table that I love, that would add some Mediterranean style in there. They actually blend really well, it's just kind of funny to me.

I just love adaptive re-use projects. Our soon to be repainted living room is just full of them. When we paint this piece, I'll get all my empty frames painted as well, so they'll be all ready to go for the living room re-do. Stay tuned for after pics!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Great find and fun repurpose job. Looking forward to the "after" shots.