




I just got back from Tulsa, OK last night, where my family and I were celebrating my Grandmother's 80th Birthday. I love my Grandma so dearly, that I was in tears when it came time to go home. You see, I've been very close to my Grandma since I was about 10 yrs old when she moved to Weston,MO. My sister and I would visit her every summer, and most holidays, and have some of the fondest memories from my youth there. Almost 4 yrs ago, she decided to give up her independent living, and move down to Tulsa to stay with her daughter and her family. So after 14 years of being close to her, she moved away.
Over these last 18 years, our relationship has changed. I remember in middle school how uncool it was that my grandma drove me to the movie theatre in her bathrobe and curlers; or who had to come stay with us when my parents went out of town. Or heaven forbid, having to share a room with her when she came to visit, because she snored...loudly! My grandma was telling my sister and I a story this weekend about how she was telling a friend of her's that she had two very spoiled granddaughter's when they were younger, and now they've turned into lovely women, and how a simple phone call, can make up for a multitude of past sins.
I love my grandma's strong-willed, stubborness, and her determination. I think that I get all these traits from her, because yes I am very stubborn, and very strong willed :) My grandma has the best stories of her youth, and of my dad when he was younger, and about life in general. I have learned so many things from her.... My grandma was born in 1929, right before the Great Depression, and was a honeymoon baby... she was married at 18 yrs old to my grandpa.... she was told by a nurse that she would never be able to have children, but she proved them wrong by having 5 healthy beautiful children-3 boys, and 2 girls. She was loyal to my grandpa, and they were married for 25 yrs (until he left her for his secretary) and she was left to raise the 3 youngest children by herself. My grandma is blessed with 12 grandchildren, and 4 great grandchildren.
My grandma was talking about the many blessings in her life that she never imagined would be possible-being blessed with children and family that loves her-and how children are truly a gift from God. I think of the legacy that she is leaving, and it is amazing! I am honored to call her my Grandmother, and I pray that she has many many more years left that my children may spend even more time getting to know this woman that I love with all of my heart and soul. My heart ached all day yesterday, just missing her. I cherish each time I spend with her, because I never know when it may be the final goodbye.
1 comment:
Oh Megan - where to start. This post brought tears to my eyes. For more reasons than I can begin to put into words. My maternal g'ma lived just a very few short blocks away from us from birth until her passing when I was a senior in HS. I remember initally refusing to attend my graduation as I mourned after her deeply. My church family back home pulled off my grad party as my mother wasn't able to herself. My Mom, my Granny Mur and I had such a very special bond. There were many a day that I would play hookie from school just to spend the day with my g'ma. She quickly caught on and finally starting shaking her finger at it! I would spend countless hours with her. She was very gifted with her hands (sewing, knitting, etc). She made me gobbs of clothes and even made my bridesmaid dress for my oldest brothers wedding. There was a time that I couldn't stomach speaking with my great Aunt Ruby (my grandmothers sister) as they sounded exactly the same. Ruby is now in heaven with g'ma. My g'ma married at age 14 to my grandfather. He passed when I was very young but I remember their relationship vividly. They set an amazing example for my family. I deeply wish that my dear granny would have had the opportunity to meet my love (Travis) and hold my children. I could ramble on for hours. I can't wait to greet again one day in heaven!!!! I know she smiles down on me (and frowns at my negative parenting style at times). Anyway, with all that said - thanks for sharing in your memories of your grandmother.
Post a Comment