Friday, August 20, 2010

Back to School Week

It's been a busy first week around our house, as Grace started her 2nd Grade year on Monday. She met her teacher for the first time last Thursday. She was a little disappointed that she didn't get the teacher she wanted, but it was made up for by the fact that she has a lot of her good friends in her class, sits on the front row, and is right by all the chapter books.

Grace and Braden were getting used to being together, and now that they're apart, they had a rough day the other day getting used to each other again. We'd be out running errands and she would mention something to him, that she knew I wouldn't let him do, like ride the horse, or have gum, or share a toy etc. They would not stop arguing. Luckily it was a beautiful day outside and they spent a few hours playing in the backyard being nice to each other.

I also officially enrolled Grace in her first true Ballet class. She has done combo dance classes of tap/ballet/tumbling the last 3 years, but now that she's almost 8, she got to choose, and she wanted to be a ballerina. She is so thrilled to be big stuff.

They both went to the Dentist on Tuesday, and were so excited. I've never seen kids that love going to the Dentist more than they do. They were talking about which flavor of toothpaste they wanted-Braden got cherry, Grace got c.c. cookie dough. And then they each got a toy from the treasure chest. No cavities all the way around, so that was great news. Miss G is going to be in desperate need of braces in another year or two-but I'm holding out hope that she can wait until I'm working again and we don't have to go into debt over it.

Yesterday they got to spend the afternoon with their Great Grandma. Which has been at tradition the last 7 years. She will be starting radiation treatments next week to treat her breast cancer, so she won't be seeing the kids for about 6 weeks or so. They are always so happy to see her-they go on a walk when it's nice, and get a cookie and popcorn, and then play in the backyard.

Grace has had a great first week at school and has met new friends and is thrilled for school lunches-something I'm sure she won't love forever. She gets to play on the big kids playground for 2nd-6th graders, and thinks she's big stuff. She's still reading her chapter books, and will be continuing her accelerated reader program this year. With Seavie being home more in the mornings, he's helped me be a better mom, by getting me up by 7:15-7:30 each morning, so we can all eat breakfast together as a family, before she goes to school and he goes to work. I'm adjusting pretty well, and have been a nicer mom to be around. I don't feel as rushed, and she gets to school on time, actually early. (I say that now, but wait to talk to me on a day that I get stuck behind the train-that's a huge patience tester). It's been great for that extra family time. We all even rode together to drop Grace off for her first day of school. She's Miss Independent. No tears from this mom, she's a big girl now. But Mr.B starts pre-school in a few weeks, and I know that will be hard to let my little man go.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Where is Braden attending preschool? Where is it logistically in the city? I would love to start touring christian based programs for Dawson however also want it to be close in proximity to our house if at all possible. Do you mind sharing who else from CRCC attends there? Also, where do you take the kids to Awana? Which growth group are you and Seavie participating in this fall? Shoot me an e-mail when time allows.
Thanks,
C