Monday, January 17, 2011

Answers in Genesis.....Dinosaurs!

I had the opportunity to take the kids this morning to part of the Answers in Genesis conference that was held at a local church, and was led by Ken Hamm. He works with the group that built the Creation Museum in N.Kentucky http://creationmuseum.org/ and is working on the Ark Encounter http://arkencounter.com/ Both of which places sounds amazing spots for future family vacations!

Anyways, this morning he was speaking to K-5th graders (homeschool, christian, and public school kids) about the truth about Dinosaurs and the Bible. I was so thrilled to hear him speak, because it wasn't really until last fall when I studied Genesis with cbs, that it all completely made sense to me. (It also didn't help that I grew up reading National Geographic, which can be totally confusing to a young child without the creation view).

From a biblical perspective, he said that the earth is only around 6000 yrs old. And that the flood happened about 4500 yrs ago (so when the earth was only 1500 yrs old, Noah built the ark). How it was presented was that there were 7 "ages" of the dinosaurs. 1. Formed (when they were created). 2. Fearless (when they lived with other animals and humans without violence or death) 3. Fallen (after sin and death- and when animals and humans went from being herbivores- to carnivores). 4. Flood (large dinosaurs wiped out,fossils spread all over the earth baby dinosaurs (lizards) in the ark) 5. Faded- when they died (became extinct) 6. Found (when people found out they were real, and not pretend animals) 7. Fiction (evolutionist telling people dinosaurs are millions of yrs old vs. the reality of a few thousand)

He has it all in detail in a book called "Dinosaurs for kids" by Ken Hamm. Which you can find on half.com or amazon.com. Which they were all sold out of at the conference, but I plan on getting a copy for my kids. Braden loves dinosaurs but I just hate all the books that talk about them being millions of yrs old and all the different dinosaur periods, etc. The term dinosaur wasn't even coined until 1841. He said that the avg. size of "dinosaurs" were the size of sheep and chickens. He also used lots of scriptures references from Job 40 (behemoth) , and Isaiah (leviathan). Talking about dragons of the land and of the sea, and how pretty much every culture has a dragon story or a flood story. How they are all correlated. It was all great information for Grace to hear.

As a parent of kids in public school, to make sure that my kids know the truth 100% from the bible, and not get sucked into the evolution view when they are older in science class. More than anything to know that the Bible is true, and the words and stories can be trusted. Last year while studying Genesis, and Exodus, I was doing research online. You know you always hear stories of what supposedly happened to Noah's ark, and where the Israelites crossed the Red Sea. I came across the most wonderful picture and video evidence from Ron Wyatt (which I guess there is a little controversy over, since he was a freelance archaeologist) But to me, the evidence all looks real, and I think that God will reveal what he wants to reveal, irregardless of their background. That God uses those people to get the truth out to others who might doubt the truth. I highly, highly recommend to go to http://www.squidoo.com/noahsarkfound It has all the documentation of his findings and pictures, evidence etc. and for the Mt.Sinai/red sea crossing go to: http://www.biblediscoveries.com/content/view/48/56/ Also you can search youtube for the actual video footage of his trip to the red sea crossing site, where he actually found marker stones on each side, and a underwater land bridge; as well as the charred mountain top, and boundary stones, calf altar. I think that the information presented makes a very good case for the truth. I have always had a love of archaeology and actually have the archaeological bible as well, but I am such a visual learner, that this type of documentation completely makes it all come alive. I also plan on sitting down with the kids and explaining the pictures and videos to them, so they can see stories almost come to life from the Bible. Anyways, I really hope you'll take the time sometime to check out the links and videos above. God is amazing!

No comments: