Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Forth of July!

We started off the 4th of July weekend, by going to the annual parade Sat. morning that just so happens to be 2 blocks W of our house. It's been our tradition the last 8 summers we've been here. The first year we found it, it was by accident. We didn't know about it, but saw lots of people parking and walking over that way, and ta-dah a tradition is born. They have marching bands, and floats, classic cars, tractors, and all that fun stuff. The kids got their share of candy, and we got front row seats in the shade, so we couldn't have asked for a better morning. (though we narrowly escaped having wild kid on a leash, and the 2 obnoxious jazzercise kids sit by us) thank goodness for my new sunglasses, which block a good portion of my face :)

Sunday, we went to church, and then headed down to see my parents on their farm. We had a great day of yummy food, and great conversation. I got the chance to have a long talk with my mom about my rollercoaster of emotions lately-in regards to being a stay at home mom, etc-and she gave me a lot of good advice. I think she'd be a great counselor :) but then again she is an amazing school teacher. So since then I've been in better spirits. Monday, Seavie had off work, and so we had the whole day together with the family. I got my butt in gear, and finally organized Grace's room. Her closet was a disaster area! We were up there for several hours, organizing, throwing things away, or in the donate pile. We brought back a desk from my parents that my Grandma Billie had given her, and she was thrilled to get it in her room and all set up. I even angled it in the corner, so she could have a secret hiding spot to read books in. I think that's part of my problem lately, that I've been so wrapped up in doing what I want to do, and not making the effort to spend as much quality time with the kids. So it was great to have that time with Grace, and see how excited she was.

As one of my mom's suggestions, she had said it might help my attitude, if I was to actually wake up before the kids, and have quiet time before they come downstairs. Suprise, suprise, I'm not a morning person, and Seavie usually gets them their breakfast. But I've really felt motivated, by myself, and the rays of sunshine coming through my window at 6-6:30am (since I took down the drapes awhile ago-since it made me too sleepy in the mornings). Seavie and I had a nice quiet breakfast, and then the kids came downstairs. So that was a good step for me in the right direction.

Now I'm working on priorities. Putting God first, then family, then house, and myself. As some of you may know, my computer crashed almost a month ago, and hasn't fully recovered. It's back to IE 6, and as of about a week ago, stopped letting me get onto facebook. GASP! I know I was having major withdrawl, for this is probably the longest time I've gone without it in the last few years. Not that God caused my computer to crash, but it's served as kind of a wake up call to me, to see where my priorities lie. I generally am only on the computer, when the kids have their nap time during the afternoon. And the mornings and evenings are spent with family. But it was the time on the computer that I could have been doing more productive things, like bible study, or organizing the closet (which I'm almost done with). Putting the computer first over pretty much any type of housework. So at church this weekend, they were talking about the tower of babel, and idols in our lives. Yes, I would say the computer has been an idol of sorts in my life, especially the fb part of it as of late. Not that I would spend more than 20 min. at a time on it, but just the daily routine of it, just like checking my e-mail.

Another thing I've realized is that I need to get back into doing more things that I loved to do. Things that make me happy, and make me, me. Like writing-as you can tell I've been writing a lot more in the last week, since I've been kicked of fb. And playing the piano more. I got to play on my mom's grand piano, and that was so soothing- ironically the page was turned to "His eye is on the sparrow" which is just what I needed right now. I used to be an avid photographer, and still love it. I've gotten so far behind on printing and organizing pics, that I need to catch up on all that as well. My mom gave me back my old volleyball from HS, and my rollerblades, which I haven't used in 12 yrs, but I loved. In fact in almost made me cry. I have no idea why, but probably because they were things I loved so much, and they've been pushed aside all these years. So look out, next time Grace has a school skating party, you can find me out there in my rollerblades :)

Then I need to start working on more focused activities with the kids. We have a daily structure, but generally they play by themselves for a few hrs every day, while I read, or check stuff on the computer etc. Going on more walks, playing outdoors, soaking up sunshine. Putting the joy back in our lives. I'm so thankful for the long talk with my mom-she's probably worried sick about me now, but I'm such a different parent than she is. She was amazing, and as a teacher, had all these fun learning things planned and activities all the time, and great meal planning etc. What I'd like to be someday, but am working on. She freaked out a few yrs ago when she found out I wasn't making my kids homemade breakfasts every morning. They do just fine on cereal and breakfast bars. But I know at least this week I'm going to use up some frozen banana's and make some banana bread for breakfasts.

So here's to a new happier me. One that is content and joyful and at peace with her life. Please pray for me that I continue to make this a focus in my life!

No comments: