Thursday, July 1, 2010

The jaded stay at home mom

So I was out the other day and met with some new friends, who also happened to be stay at home moms. They had kids who were younger, ages 1 and 3, and 1 1/2 with a baby on they way. One of the moms was talking about playgroups and playdates, to both of us, and the other mom was so excited because that's just what she had been looking for (and it very well could be exactly what they need in this time of their life right now) but me, the jaded mom is thinking, "yeah how exciting" in my sarcastic inner voice. Not that I don't love getting together with friends and their kiddos, because I do. I think that's the difference of being a long time stay at home mom vs. the new mom. It's almost like a certain naieveness of how cheerful and happy the life of a stay at home mom is. I am just not that perky, super happy, mini-van driving mom. I have no inclination to spend every weekend or weeknight at kids sporting events. I don't think I ever will be. I love my kids and my life, but I'm just not that person. I am the independent, sometimes free spirited, SUV driving mom. And I like driving my sporty 4 door car around-it makes me feel young again. I'm not super hands on, but still love to play games and crafts and not afraid to have fun. I'm totally okay with my kids not being in sports yet. I'm cool with just dance and awana's. Like any mom, I need my break everyday, to relax and have me-time. No one's life is perfect, and neither is the life of a stay at home mom. Everyone has their moments, and their stressed out time with kids, but all in all at the end of they day, the kids know they are loved and everyone is happy.

No comments: