I took Grace to see the premiere of "SweetPea Beauty" this morning at the local Christian book store. She got coloring sheets, balloons, a sticker and a sm.poster, and got to see the best veggie tales movie I think I've ever seen. We all have seen the classic Disney movies with the princesses -Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella (out of all of them Cinderella is my favorite, Snow White's voice annoys me to no end-I don't do well with super happy perky people, and Sleeping Beauty has too much sorcery). SweetPea Beauty amazed me at how they perfectly portrayed this message of real self worth and inner beauty comes from the heart. All the while being loved by the heavenly father who created you. It featured an adaptation of Cinderella- a girl who had glasses and braces and frizzy hair, who still after becoming beautiful said that she didn't feel loved or cherished, until she changed back and the king (God) told her how he made her perfect in his image and how he loved her the way she was. It was very touching. The rest of the story is an adaptation of mainly Snow White and a little Sleeping Beauty. Focusing on the vain stepmother who's inner heart is transformed to her outward appearance making her ugly, and how she realized it wasn't looks that counted. It portrayed a great message to girls that beauty comes from within the heart. Obviously I loved it so much that miss G will be getting it as a b'day present in 2 months.
Sadly, or not so sadly, however you view it, I'll be getting rid of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty from the house. I know they are classics but they don't get across these messages that every girl should know.Of course Belle, Ariel and Cinderella princess movies will be kept-they're magical, but not supernatural and I think that makes a big difference. I just love how veggie tales portray a wholesome biblical and moral message, and yet have fun with it. As some of you know I had also tossed out Pinnochio a while ago, because parts of it really creeped me out, so replaced it with the veggie tales version of the same story, that portrays a better message (which will be mr. B's b'day present along with another Minnesota Cuke dvd) Just trying to find the perfect balance of wholesome messages with fun and fantasy and imagination. Trying to re-prioritize what they should be filling their minds with, and learning great life lessons in the mean time.
Saturday, July 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment