Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kitchen Re-design!

The kitchen table before.....

The kitchen table after....


This was my source of inspiration. A real set for sale on CL for $1600. It looks like a set out of a designer magazine. I have always wanted a farmhouse table, and thought this would be an elegant way of going about it. Since we don't have a formal dining room I wanted to really dress up the kitchen and make it formal instead. It has a dual function as front entry and kitchen/dining area, so there is a degree of formality to it.

I know that I'm supposed to be focusing all my re-design efforts to the master bedroom, but have now focused some energy on a little facelift of the kitchen. As most of you know, I repainted the kitchen 2 months ago, to the Toffee crunch, and am loving it. As you also may know is that I have the most hideous upside down ceiling fan in that room that I despise. So to remedy the 70's table and upside down fan, I've been doing some shopping CL style. I tend to have expensive taste, but could never afford it full price, so that's my shopping outlet for now :) See the light pictured above, only $15 on CL, but retails brand new for $100-and the same light- higher end brand retails for $300.

So what do I do, but find a similar pine plank table with six parsons chairs for $125!!!
Which I calculated evens out to: $80 for the table, and around $7 a piece for the chairs.

BEFORE-Green faux painted legs and pine top in need of some tlc

AFTER-Painted black legs with sanded top in walnut stain, and 2 layers of clear coat


BEFORE


AFTER



Add some elegant chocolate brown chair covers (at $15 a chair) all while staying within a very modest budget.

And in the meantime, I sold our old kitchen table set for $50, an antique library table for $65, and still trying to sell an antique kitchen table to use that $ towards our kitchen re-design project.It took a lot of convincing to Seavie, who was still very fond of our first purchase as newlyweds-the 70's maple table. But he's been won over :)

I love this new table set because it can easily fit 8 people, so that means I need to find 2 more parsons chairs :) but really, I would love to entertain more and having extra seating allows for that. The table also doubles as my kitchen island per say. A cook/prep area that can easily be used for pretty much anything. And the bonus of the chairs being more formal and totally comfy, is that they can be used in the living room for extra seating, and would coordinate well with the living room decor.

No comments: